Sunday, June 17, 2012

Some of the best things in life are free

Today was Father's Day- marking the near end of a 2 month pinch. In May I have Noah's birthday and Mothers Day followed by Chloe's birthday in early June, Father's day, then Jack and Grady's birthday. It's an expensive midpoint to Christmas. It's easy to get caught up in the frustration of feeling financially strained during a time like this. And it's not just me- Just about everyone we know is pretty financially strapped, whether they have 8 kids or 2 or none at all.   And, just out of curiosity, do other big families feel like they are never allowed to mention money being tight? Because its seems like if you dare mention that finances are tight you will get slapped with the inevitable "Why did you have so many kids then?" line of questioning which some people think is entirely okay to lay on you if you have a big family. *However, you may NOT turn this same line of questioning back around on anyone else because, "we stopped at 1...(or 2 or 3)." So... you are allowed to be financially strapped with 2 kids but I can't be financially strapped with 8?

Tirade over.

Anyway.

Like I was saying, today was Father's Day. My sister and I took my Dad out to breakfast to a mom and pop spot we've been dining at for 25 years now. At breakfast my parents mentioned a tree outside their new home that was filled with hundreds of fragrant juicy peaches.

I was torn. Go home and make Clay something fantastic for Father's Day dinner.. orrrrr, let him play PlayStation games with the Sony Network card he got for Father's day and pick some peaches at my folks place.


Who can resist the draw of a ripe peach tree?
So we headed there- grabbed a ladder- and started picking.We gathered a small bundle and I decided to go home and see who wanted to help pick. The girls are spending the night with Grandma and the babies were sleeping. So I left Clay with the twins and Chloe and returned to the peach tree with Noah and we picked... and we picked... and we picked.

It occurred to me as I was picking peaches with my Mom, my sister, and my oldest son how much fun I was truly having- and it didn't cost a thing. The challenge to climb to the top to grab the most blushing ripe peaches was exhilarating. The fun helping Noah fight his fear of  heights - the listening to Mom tell stories about growing up on a farm- all of it- free. memorable. fun.

After picking 15-20 lbs or so we headed home so I could hunt up a good recipe to bake a few pies. Of course, I immediately hit up Pinterest- because frankly, who uses cookbooks anymore when Pinterest is there to entice you to make something beautiful. *side note- Recipe.com and Pinterest should really hook up.

I brought our haul in the door and we separated big and juicy from medium and firm. Peach pies are best made with medium firm peaches or else they will get runny while baking. Im saving our juicy peaches to make a nice peach and ginger bbq glaze for ribs this week. Chloe, Luke, Grady and Jackson immediately grabbed  a couple for taste testing.

We peeled and diced and sugared and spiced :)  Little hands took turns curiously wondering in and out of the kitchen to taste test, watch, and help. After the first pie was nearly complete I was getting hit with a million and one "is it almost ready yet" questions. The kids were excited and I relished in this feeling of joy. It may not seem like much to many but memories were made today... and they didn't cost us a thing.

(Pie 2 egg washed and heading into the over, Pie 1 resting.) 
For a complete recipe and instructions on how to make this pie, go here.


2 comments:

  1. Heather, I am amazed by you. Seriously. Let me explain: you have 8 children. I struggle with the idea of how you make it work and get things done. James and I are having 1. Just 1 and I worry about how we are going to make it on one income yet you do it with 8. Super bad ass! ;) My next moment of amazement is that you take the time to do things that are going to end up being lasting family moments with your children. Yes, it's a free activity but I see more than like. Chloe and Noah will forever remember they day they picked peaches with their Mommy at their grandparents home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest and recipe.com would make beautiful babies! Lol

    ReplyDelete